Friday, November 11, 2011

Good Catholic Girls Don't

My reality turned tilt-a-whirl started with Sunday coming too early and a check book bouncing out of control. I had never bounced a check before. You just don’t bounce checks in my family. Its grounds for removal, jail-time, and a life long subscription to my dad’s “Save Your Money” lecture series.

After all, good Catholic girls don’t bounce checks. Mom always said every penny counts, and mistakes count twice. Now, we’ve all heard “every penny counts,” but the second part of this phrase is Midwestern born – it’s the classic Roman-Catholic, guilt laden mantra to abide or die. But money goes bad on lots of people, and I’m tired of absent dollar bills making me feel alone.

According to, blameitonthevoices.com (and remember this is a blog, not a PhD Research Study), “If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75%$ of the world.” And “If you have money in the bank, your wallet and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.” So I guess I am richer than 75% of the world, but the grown woman in debt can’t keep the good Catholic girl from feeling guilty. What I would do without this imaginary line of bullshit I just don’t know, but it is bullshit…so why don’t we let ourselves believe that.

My check book will need a whole seven days to calm down, and for now, I am going to let myself believe money goes bad on lots of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment